Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why I decided to wait...

...until I was done writing my book to tell everyone.

Here’s the deal folks, in order to become a writer you have to do one thing above all: Write.
When I first started writing, I didn’t tell a SOUL what I was about to do. And in the end I think it helped me. It helped me to discover that writing could be a passion of mine, that I do it to tell stories, bring characters alive, to go on adventures. Even now only a select few know that I have written a novel. (And thank you guys for all your help and feedback!)

You see, it’s not so much that I didn’t want anyone to know, it’s just that I believe that if you start telling someone you are going to write a book, then writing itself becomes a chore. If you tell someone, then it becomes an expectation. It’s a trap I think many writers fall into. And if writing becomes a chore more than a passion, then they don’t write. And in order to become a writer, you have to write. In order to get good at writing, you have to write. Notice a pattern here?

Now I’m not saying that all of this is fact. It is just what I believe and it’s the realization that I’ve come to as to why I never told anyone. If writing becomes a chore, then you give up before it can become a passion.

The first book is hard. Believe me. If it was easy, then everyone would be doing it. If you want to write, then write. Write, write, write. Write until you find your voice. Write until you find your soul, your characters, their feelings. Write until it becomes good, and if it’s not, write some more.

For the longest time I was afraid to tell anyone. But now I think I can confidently say: I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment